[PD] multiple patches

derek at x-i.net derek at x-i.net
Wed Aug 20 16:12:49 CEST 2003

Quoting Atte André Jensen <atte at ballbreaker.dk>:

> 1) Would it be better to run multiple instances of pd or only one
> instance? How is the midi input best handled from 6 keyboards? If they
> all are connected via USB they will show up (I suppose) as different
> input devices, but is that possible to redirect to different patches
> running at the same time?

PD probably doesn't like the multiple instances option :-)

midi data simple comes in as a stream of numbers like any other other. explore
the various midi objects, such as [notein], [ctlin] and you will see that the
data arrives with channel number as well as the actual note/controller info.
set each keyboard to a different midi channel [or else they WON'T function as
seperate devices, and then you will have fun!] and use the different channel
numbers to route to different parts of your patch.

> 2) How does program change work in pd? Would it be neccesary to write a
> specific input module to handle stuff like that?

yes. [pgmin] object. it just is a number like any other, so you will have to
make a patch which tells PD what to do with it.

> 3) Is it possible to load/unload patches dynamically from pd, for
> instance using program change?

i would love to figure this one out. sometimes there is just too much going on
for the CPU, so it would be very useful to load and unload things on the fly.
probably somebody else here can help?

d.