[PD] installing pd/gem/cyclone/etc from deb?

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Mon Aug 25 13:07:31 CEST 2003

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, np wrote:
> hello list,
>
> i'm returning to pd-linux after a little unfortunate break (my laptop
> died!). first time around i compiled from source, but this time i'm trying
> to install from deb files using apt-get (on a debian testing/unstable
> powerbook 2.4.18). pd loads ok and works perfectly but i'm having some
> problems getting gem, cyclone, OSC et al to run. if i run 'pd -lib Gem' i
> get error messages complaining about undefined JvRegister_Classes
> (strangely, gem runs OK using the same 'apt-get install gem' method on an
> athlon box with same testing/unstable base).

Thats strange, it is definitely not a athlon/intel issue, but it seems
to be a problem of library dependencies. I am testing on debian sid
on intel and gem works there ..
When did you do the latest update of the gem package ?
(which debian version do you have ?)

> if i run 'pd -lib cyclone', i
> get the message 'cyclone - can't load library' (i also tried '-lib sickle'
> and '-lib hammer' with similar results).

You have to add the path to the cyclone externals
pd -lib /usr/lib/pd/externs/cyclone
Have to improve the documentation of the package ...

> could someone point me towards a solution? i tried looking through
> /usr/lib/pd/extra and find the cyclone externals there, but still no luck
> edit this to find cyclone? any help would be much appreciated!

Greetings,

Guenter