[PD] String quartet visualization

Oskar Lissheim-Boëthius oskar at avocade.com
Wed Sep 17 16:28:54 CEST 2003

Hi all,

My name is Oskar and I study at the School of Composition on Gotland in
Sweden. As a integral part of our education we learn to use MAX/MSP to
create performances and music in our studios (EAM), as well as
traditinal, classical, acoustic composition.

For my string quartet piece I'm writing, I want to use MAX/MSP to get
data from the miced ensemble, process it, and create visuals on a
projected screen. Since we don't learn the visual part of MAX/MSP here,
I went on a crusade on the net to discover someone who knew more about
this, and could give me some hints.

I have an idea about a miced string quartet in the middle of the room, 4
speakers around the audience on the outer rim, and at least one
(hopefully four) projectors that project video on the wall(s). The
video-visuals I think about is something to be in the style of the
"Fluffy" screensaver in MacOSX and iTunes, or the visualisations in
Winamp. Something that can be controlled from the MSP input to MAX, to
control the flow of video.

I have MAX/MSP for the PC for the moment (we use Mac at the school
though), but the libraries should work on either platform.

Yours sincerely,

> O S K A R   L I S S H E I M - B O Ë T H I U S
  Composer & Webdesigner
  Kingdom of Sweden

  Home:   www.avocade.com
  Cell:   +46 (0) 736 52 54 20