[PD] Re: off thread

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Oct 10 15:52:59 CEST 2003

On Friday, Oct 10, 2003, at 03:16 America/New_York, chris clepper wrote:

> Why are you suggesting fink at all for the OSX version of GEM?? There
> are no fink packages that will work with GEM - everything needed comes
> with OSX (and is for the most part far better than what you could pull
> out of fink anyway).  So simply put: there are precisely 0 things to
> install on an OSX box to get GEM working.  You can take a Mac out of
> the shrink-wrap, boot it, download or copy the pd and GEM binaries
> onto the machine and start using them both.  I've actually done this.

This is great.  I initially thought GEM needed glut from fink, but I
have since been corrected.  The MacOS X installer includes PDP, which
does need additional libs, so that's why I recommend:

sudo apt-get install gsl-shlibs libpng-shlibs libpng3 libpng3-shlibs
libquicktime0-shlibs libmpeg libmpeg-shlibs ffmpeg

As for this last response, I guess I wasn't thinking about GEM
problems, just the fink problem...

> Any problems with loading GEM have to do with incorrect paths or
> permissions or the like, and problems running GEM almost always come
> down to hardware problems or someone is trying to run it on a system
> prior to 10.2.  I guess we'll have to throw a big error message in the
> startup informing users of the latter.

Good to know.  I support as many error messages as possible.  Verbose
error messages make things much easier to troubleshoot, especially when
the problem is sent to you in an email.

.hc

> cgc
>
>> You should post such questions to the list, not just to me.
>>
>> http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/gsl-shlibs is the
>> packages  that you need.  apt-get won't work, you'll need to:
>>
>> fink install gsl-shlibs
>>
>> and you need to use the fink 'unstable' sources.
>>
>> .pdrc should be in the the home folder of the account you normally
>> log  in as.  Open a new window in Terminal.app, open a new window in
>> Terminal.app, type "cd".  That is where it should go.
>>
>> .hc
>

>>> But i still have the "couldn't create" error messages to gemwin,
>>> etc.  The Gem patches just appear without cords, unconnected
>>> objects. (
>>>
>>> i have already installed the other libs through Fink:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get install glut glut-shlibs gsl-shlibs libpng-shlibs
>>> libpng3
>>> libpng3-shlibs libquicktime0-shlibs libmpeg libmpeg-shlibs ffmpeg
>>>
>>> but as you can see here:
>>> http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/search.php?s=gsl-shlibs
>>> there are no packages of gsl-shlibs...though i think that wouldn't
>>> be  the reason for Gem not loading.
>>> [i have added to the fink.config tree th lines to search also for
>>> the  unstable sources]

____

deliberately throwing it away
to benefit those who profit from scarcity."
							-John Gilmore