[PD] mailinglist-archive, pure-data.org

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Oct 17 18:34:56 CEST 2003

Zitiere Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org>:

> Hallo,
> Oops. This makes me wonder, where all those big files are. I would
> think that only sound- and video-files can add to such a big mass, but
> the community folder on pd.org just has a small handful of files. This
> brings up the question, if everything on pd.org is going on okay, I
> mean, I hope, that there's no off-topic filesharing going on under the
> hood.
>
> I don't think, that this is happening, but it might be good to think
> of countermeasures for things like this *in case* it happens.

several remarks:
- after migration, files will be kept in the filesystem rather than in the
database. this should make the db significantly smaller (and thus faster)
- pd.org is not the only site hosted by our zope-portal. probably the evil-doers
 are to be found somewhere else....
- in fact, iem has been exploited for filesharing quite recently: since the ftp
for pdwiki was read-/writable by anonymous, we had various high-quality (in
terms of video-quality of course) porns and other stuff in there.
this is why i have closed the writing ftp-access for ftp.iem.at/incoming and all
subfolders (including pdwiki).
just in case anybody wanted to know.
just in case anybody already knew...

mfg.a.sdr