[PD] mailinglist-archive, pure-data.org

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Oct 17 18:05:52 CEST 2003

Hallo,
IOhannes zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes zmoelnig wrote:
> actually the problem is the web-server, which is currently working with
> >100% cpu-load.
> this (i guess) is mainly due to the pure-data.org-portal.
> a lot of people have actually subscribed to the pure-data.org and they
> are doing lots of stuff, espacially storing files in the
> backend-database, which makes the database extremely big (>2GB already)
> nad thus slow.
>
> Of course this was not the (our=IEMs) intention of the portal-thing and
> we were not prepared for such an amount of data.

Oops. This makes me wonder, where all those big files are. I would
think that only sound- and video-files can add to such a big mass, but
the community folder on pd.org just has a small handful of files. This
brings up the question, if everything on pd.org is going on okay, I
mean, I hope, that there's no off-topic filesharing going on under the
hood.

I don't think, that this is happening, but it might be good to think
of countermeasures for things like this *in case* it happens.

ciao