[PD] max -> pd jitter -> gem etc.

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Mon Oct 20 07:04:59 CEST 2003

>Im trying to port some of my jitter patches to Gem, and found myself asking:
>
>is there an object in PD (or an external), that is the equivalent of matrix?

Not really.  All of the buffers for video are handled internally.

>essentially I want to be able to make a sort of video patch bay and
>be able to shoot video to subpatches and route them around as
>needed, (ie pix_filmYUV to some abstracted router, to say,
>yuv_adjust etc etc. however I dont want anything hard coded/patched
>so to speak.
>
>The matrixctrl/matrix is essentially what I would love to have.

GEM messages work with send/receive objects.  Maybe those can be of
use for routing?  i've done that with max and pd long before the max4
matrix routing objects were available.

The yuv_ objects are deprecated now, and their functionality has been
rolled into the pix_ objects.  you can use both YUV and RGB
color-spaces with most pix_ objects.  the version of GEM in CVS has
color-space switching for both pix_film and pix_video.  YUV is of
course still much faster than RGB.

>id be more than happy to send my max patch out so someone can
>decypher what it is I mean =).

sure, why not.  i don't have jitter but i do have max 4.2.

>also, is there any planned native PD for OS X editor in the work? Im
>enjoying being able to use paradiddle for make a nice front end for
>my patch, but id love to have something that looks as good (well,
>better than), max. sorry if saying that is a faux pas, but tcl/tk
>isnt exactly the best on OS X.

there aren't any 'native' editors for pd - only tcl/tk.  i'm all for
better GUI tools, and GEM needs some heavy duty ones that can deal
with large vertex arrays and the like.  the problem is making them
cross-platform and still run well.

>thanks for any input.
>
>PD really shines. Gem and PD run faster and smoother on OS X that
>most (if not all) similar video tools. I cant wait to see where
>everything goes.

yeah it's all that Altivec.  we've done a lot of tuning for OSX and
there's more on the way.

cgc