[PD] Newbie with some questions (notably [block~ 1])

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Oct 21 09:57:47 CEST 2003

Hallo,
Claudius Maximus hat gesagt: // Claudius Maximus wrote:

> 1. [block~ 1] doesn't work
>
> The block size is set to 64 instead.  Moreover:

block~ can not be used in the patch with the adc~/dac~, you need a
subpatch then. Block also does not change the lowest message speed in
objects like [del], which is limited below by 64 samples.

> 3. How do I read bytes from a binary file into an
> array?
>
> Treating them as integers from 0 to 255.

I don't know an object that opens files in bin-mode, but it could be
written as an external.

> 4. How do I build messages out of symbol arguments?
>
> |set $1(  doesn't work as expected when I send it a
> symbol.

What did you expect it to work like?

> 5. How do I send messages to $0-name arrays?
>
> |;$0-name x y z(  doesn't work.

There is no $0 in messages, you just invented this.  ;)
To send to local variable, need to make a message that accepts a
variable:

  [; $1-name x y z(

and send $0 as first argument to that:

  [f $0]

  [; $1-name x y z(

you also could use [symbol $0-name] directly. Example attached.

ciao