[PD] Video cards

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Thu Oct 23 06:45:19 CEST 2003

The 4200 is a fine card for GEM right now.  It will run really well
and you won't be missing any of the linux features - the really
advanced stuff is still a short while away.  Offhand I don't recall
if that generation GPU supports ARB_vertex or ARB_fragment_program or
not.  Probably by this time next year those will be indispensable
features for GEM, but the Nvidia cards that I know support them are
either total crap FX5200/5600 or way over-priced 5900.  ATI is
definitely the way to go hardware wise but the Linux drivers make
Nvidia a better choice on that platform.  The drivers aren't open,
but Nvidia is at least making an effort to support the platform and
they are legally entitled to protect their IP.   Their drivers are
also pretty easy to install as they make available binaries for
popular distros like RedHat and Suse to ensure compatibility.  As
mentioned by others, the NV drivers do support TV out and dual-head
displays.  So you have the choice of ok hardware with good drivers
(Nvidia) or good hardware with questionable drivers (ATI).  Tough
one, but probably the former is better if you want fewer hassles.

cgc