[PD] Re: buzz~

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Oct 24 21:12:15 CEST 2003

Hallo,

Larry Troxler hat gesagt: // Larry Troxler wrote:

> It seems to me that buzz~ isn't working according to it's description.
>
> I'm using a zip file with source files dated in January 2002, and am running
> Linux, using the external freshly compiled using the supplied makefile.
>
> The problem I am having can be seen using the buzz~-help.pd patch.
> When I set the frequency to some non-zero value, set "a" to result in a "rich"
> spectrum (ie > 0), and set "H" to 1, I would expect to see a sinusoid at the
> fundamental frequency (since H==1). But there are already strong overtones
> with H==1. The problem is quite obvious audibly to the extent that I can
> clearly hear overtones with H==1;  it's not just some subtle floating point
> approximation error.

Yes, you're right, it behaves that way. It might very well be that
there indeed is a bug hidden (although it still makes interesting
sounds... ;)

> I haven't gone through the code to work through the math yet, but I suspect
> there might be a problem either in the code or the documentation, or that
> there is a more recent version available.

There also is a flext/SndObj version on my disk that I worked on some
months ago but didn't finish. It has the same problem. I've put it on
http://footils.org/pkg/fbuzz-test.tgz (really unfinished, but should
compile on Linux)

I'd love it if you have a look at buzz, whichever version.

ciao