[PD] Re: buzz~

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sat Oct 25 04:09:12 CEST 2003

On Friday 24 October 2003 15:12, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Larry Troxler hat gesagt: // Larry Troxler wrote:
> > It seems to me that buzz~ isn't working according to it's description.
> Yes, you're right, it behaves that way. It might very well be that
> there indeed is a bug hidden (although it still makes interesting
> sounds... ;)

Well I compared your code against the formula in the paper, and I couldn't
find any differences - it looks like it matches to me.

The only minor error is that H is the number of harmonics minus one, so that
H=0 should give a single frequency, not H=1. I guess you could say that it's
the number of overtones.

I tried to convince myself using trig identities that with H=0 and a=1/2, that
big mess simplifies to a sinusoid. But so far I haven't been able to do that
yet. But I'm not a mathematician, so this doesn't in itself mean a problem.

Still, I suspect that there's an error somewhere in the paper as published.

Well we should look at the csound buzz opcode I guess...

Larry