[PD] GEM vs Jitter a newbie request for opinions

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Oct 25 03:39:50 CEST 2003

Zitiere chris clepper <cgc at humboldtblvd.com>:
> easily top anything a Max based solution could produce.  Another
> option would be to embed some sort of scripting right into Pd/GEM
> that would allow for things like :
> 5000.do(rotate(triangle(size,position.random),random(x,y,z))) which
> would give you 5000 randomly positioned and rotated triangles.  Try
> that in _any_ of these current systems and you'll see why I'm
> suggesting this alternative!

while it really gets unhandy when the random positions should be kept during
rendering cycles (see attached file tritest2.pd) i think it the gem-code stays
elegant if the random position/rotation is allowed to be recalculated each frame.
but of course, sc code is most often the most elegant solution for multiple
instances of objects (due to its very nature)

and of course, 5000 triangles without display-lists is slow (as in the example).

> Which is easier to learn?  Well if you have used Max/Pd for audio or
> midi then GEM is probably easier because it follows Max conventions a
> bit better.
but on the other hand, it really confuses people, because it is scene-graph
based (exept for the pix_ thingies) instead of signal-flow based.

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes