[PD] Re: GEM vs Jitter a newbie request for opinions (newbie sez thanks)

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Sat Oct 25 17:46:12 CEST 2003

Hey JHave,

I'm comment inline:

> grab video from camera in real-time

no problem in Gem (DV video in, very very fast) (on OSX)

> periodically save it to a file(s)

is pix_write working in OSX yet? Are you talking about saving a chunk of
video, or individual frames? I never tried using pix_multiimage to load an
array of images files saved with pix_write the performance may not be all
that great.

> chroma key it as it is displayed

Gem, no problem.

> concurrently display previously-saved video(s) behind the current
real-time
> video

no problem in Gem

> apply diverse effects in real-time to the previously-saved video files
that
> have been loaded in

define "effects" Gem has pix_ filters, and you can do a heck of a lot with
openGL transformations for "effects".

> vary the amount of these effects according to gradiant input from a motion
> sensor

Whats the HW interface for the sensor?

I would say in conlusion that I can't think of a good reason for using
Jitter for this project. Perhaps to be able to save QT movies rather than
individual frames...

Whats the timeline of the project? Gem is always changing!

Ben