[PD] GEM vs Jitter a newbie request for opinions

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 26 20:42:05 CET 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 ben at ekran.org wrote:

> Mathieu and Gem-devs: I've been doing a lot of matrix related stuff
> with Gem lately driven by my PSO object, and its a little awkward.
> (Like interpolating 24*8*5 vertex positions etc..) With Chris's vertex
> array stuff is there a possibility of using gridflow for matrix
> operations to be passed onto Gem for attaching to openGL? I would be
> very interesting in seeing such a connection. Are either party's
> interested? I have some example patches to show off what I mean by
> awkwardness if required!

This has been on my TODO list for a long time, but do not trust my TODO
list. The next thing I do is more Mac support, upon special request, and
then I work on one video performance project, and then I'd like to find
time to work on GridFlow features, and there are about 100 features that
compete very well with GEM support.

But by mentioning it, you are raising the chances I'll do it soon. =)

Just a quick note: loading PDP, GF, GEM all at once in PD, is loading 47
shared libraries at once. It's nice that it doesn't crash. I'd expect some
shit involving signals. It is more likely to happen once I try doing real
things with all three together, but I don't know yet.

For now, what you can do is use [@export_list] to convert GF grids into PD
lists. I suppose that "GEM support" would involve making a faster
link? How slow is using [@export_list] for this?