[PD] pd037 compiling errors

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Wed Oct 29 21:05:47 CET 2003

Erasmus Zipfel wrote:
> hello,
>
> while compiling pd-0.37-0 on the new
> Suse-Linux 9 I get the following errors:
>
> cc -DPD -DUNIX  -Wall -W -Wstrict-prototypes -Werror -Wno-unused -Wno
> -parentheses -Wno-switch -O6 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -DDL
> _OPEN -DPA_USE_OSS -DPA_LITTLE_ENDIAN            -DUSEAPI_OSS
> -I../portaudio/pa_common         -I../portaudio/pablio -I../portaudi
> o/portmidi-macosx -Werror -DINSTALL_PREFIX=\"/usr/local\" -I. -c -o .
> ./obj/d_ctl.o d_ctl.c
> d_ctl.c: In function `line_tilde_perform':
> d_ctl.c:110: Warnung: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break st
> rict-aliasing rules
> d_ctl.c:110: Warnung: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break st
> rict-aliasing rules
> d_ctl.c: In function `vline_tilde_float':
> d_ctl.c:285: Warnung: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break st
> rict-aliasing rules
> d_ctl.c:285: Warnung: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break st
> rict-aliasing rules
> make: *** [d_ctl.o] Fehler 1
>
> the compiler is:
> gcc-Version 3.3.1 (SuSE Linux)

It seems that gcc 3.3 is stricter with types than earlier versions. You
can compile pd OK after editing the makefiles (in src and some of the
subdirectories) to remove the -Werror flag wherever it appears, since it
  causes gcc to treat warnings as errors. Here the warnngs appear to be
harmless.

Martin