[PD] 'pipe' in Gem chain

ben at ekran.org ben at ekran.org
Wed Oct 29 22:15:31 CET 2003

Hey Martin,

I just taught a large class of college students pd/Gem. I think the real
confusion is that each object in PD seems to have a unity to itself. This
is not the case with gem objects (which only have meaning in chains,
rotate by itself does not make any sense.) Putting a pipe in a gemchain
does not make sense because a gemchain is a single object. Putting a pipe
into a square for example does not make conceptual sense. The pipe would
always alter some aspect of the square, not the square itself. Aspects of
gemchains are done by objects yes, but they are always controlled by
messages.

I don't have gem on this machine, what happens if you put a pipe in a
gemchain??? (since a gemchain is not passing the same kind of data as all
other PD obejcts)

Good luck!

Ben

PS: Working with a lot of Gem you get used to having to interpolate or
mess with a lot of control data. I've had to make arrays of up to 90
interpolators! Anyone have hints on manageing arrays of interpolators? I
guess I could wip up an abstraction that dynamically patches the number of
interpolators needed, but this is ugly! any other ideas? (this is why I'm
wanting grid-flow features in Gem) then I just need to interpolate the
"grid" and have Gem parse the grid into control data for each point (or
whathave you)