[PD] ubumenu

Thomas Grill t.grill at gmx.net
Sun Nov 2 11:39:38 CET 2003

Hi all,
i'm sorry but i don't agree with that at all.
As a musician i have to have a proper instrument, be it a piano, a guitar or
a computer with the appropriate software.
It may cost money (instruments usually do) or it may not, also the music may
depend on the quality of an instrument or it may not.
I both like lo-fi _and_ hi-fi-music when it's properly done.
Never ever would come to my mind that buying an expensive instrument is
elitist if it is necessary for doing a special kind of music.
For my part, i mostly work with Max because i can do things with it that i
can hardly do with PD (or, i had to invest so much time into programming the
tools that i don't have time for the music), and i really don't understand
how someone could call a professional-grade 500$ software elitist, with
their makers providing great support. On the other hand, my sympathies are
also with PD because of the well-known facts like open-sourceness etc.
In fact, what i don't want is PD to be the poor man's Max, because it simply
isn't - both systems are living side by side with their respective
advantages. I'm quite sure that most of the people don't have a political
but rather pragmatic approach to PD and would immediately start using a fast
and feature-rich gui for PD once it's there. And that will contain a
ubumenu-like dropdown object.

best greetings,
Thomas