[PD] IEMlib and compilation optimised for P4s

Nicholas Mariette nmariette at myrealbox.com
Wed Nov 5 14:11:53 CET 2003

Hi David,

I've recently had the same experience of unexpected high-CPU usage from FIR~
in Iemlib (under WinXP).

Which Iemlib filter have you had this experience with?

I found that I can run a maximum of about 8 FIR filters of 200samples length
on a P4 2GHz.  This does seem a little low for such a short FIR.

I tried recompiling Iemlib with MSVC++6.0 but I got no performance
improvement.  I haven't yet looked at the code or tried special compilers
like the Intel compiler.

However, I have found that Ben Saylor's partitioned convolution external is
somewhat more efficient for the same FIR filters.  If you're referring to
FIR filters, I'd try that external which can be found here.
http://home.gci.net/~pamsaylor/ben/partconv~-0.1.tar.gz

And I'd be interested to hear of others' experiences with FIRs in PD.
Anyone?

Nick