[PD] separating pd and wish

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Nov 5 20:15:46 CET 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> plessas at sbox.tugraz.at hat gesagt: // plessas at sbox.tugraz.at wrote:
>
> > Can I tell pd and WishShell to run on two different machines over a network?
> > so i could separate gui and dsp tasks. on what port do they connect to each
> > other?
> > i work on win, osx and linux (but i don't mean X-forwarding)
>
> Yes, run one with "-nogui" and the other with dsp turned off. Then
> connect them with either netsend/netreceive (build in) or use OSC
> (available on pure-data.sf.net)

Another possibility is to run the gui via rsh on the other machine,
on the machine m1.upf.edu:

pd -guicmd "rsh m2.upf.edu /usr/lib/pd/bin/pd-gui 5400 m1.upf.edu"

If you have the rsh permissions setup, this should start the
gui on m2.upf.edu and pd on m1.upf.edu.

( .. this may only work on Linux, OSX probably too ..)

GG.