[PD] New to PD - Object lists?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Nov 9 12:17:10 CET 2003

Hallo,
Umiachi hat gesagt: // Umiachi wrote:

> I'm new to pd, but have been working with object
> oriented enviroments like this for quite sometime.
> Everything seems simple enough, now that I've read the
> foundation of operation's guide on Miller's site, but
> I've still got one nagging question:
>
> Where is a list of the available modules for use?

Right-click (or use some modifier key if you don't have a right mouse
button) on the background of a patch and you can select to show a list
of all built-in objects. Currently this only shows built-ins, though.

(Actually it shows the file that on Linux is located in
"/usr/lib/pd/doc/5.reference/0.INTRO.txt". This is extensible ifor
example by something like:

$ strings /usr/lib/pd/extra/* | grep setup$ | sed -e "s/_tilde/\\~/" | \
 sed -e "s/_setup$//" >> /usr/lib/pd/doc/5.reference/0.INTRO.txt

or similar...)

> Secondly, are there any instrument creation tutorials
> out on the net (or hidden with the software) aside
> from the basics mentioned in Miller's guide (which is
> the only documentation I'm aware of at the moment)?
> I've seen the drum synth tutorial on the wiki, but
> that's not quite what I need (I use hardware modulars
> for drums anyhow). My interest in the program
> primarily encompasses sample manipulation, granular
> resynthesis, fft filtering, and effect creation (not
> for stand alone though, that's what pluggo 3.1 is
> for.. when it is released in a week or so for os x). A
> basic synth construction tutorial would be nice to
> ease into the work flow, but anything sampler related
> would be far more my speed (maybe a wavetable or
> look-up synth program?)..

I agree that some tutorials in more practical directions are missing.
I plan to devote the whole or at least a very large part of december
to something very close to this. Stay tuned! In the meantime you could
abuse Max tutorials for some general principles.
www.creativesynth.com has some nice tuts in that area. Maybe some
(Ex-)Maxers here can point you to some more.

> Is it possible to create vst effects to be hosted in
> cubase via PD? Just curious on that point, I would
> assume no.

It is possible. J. Sarlo wrote a vst-wrappper that allows Pd patches
to be used as a VST effect (not as VSTi, though!). I never tried
that, for a lack of MS-Windows or a Mac.

ciao