[PD] A little help with Linux, jack, alsa and pd

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Nov 11 00:21:18 CET 2003

Hallo,
Wade McDaniel hat gesagt: // Wade McDaniel wrote:

> My sound device is an USB M-Audio Duo. It shows up in
> /proc/bus/usb/devices but when I do something like 'cat /bin/bash >
> /dev/dsp' I hear nothing.

This is an old advice, forget about it: cat is not a sound playing
software.  Here's what to do with all documents where you read "cat
something > /dev/dsp|audio|..."

cat /dev/null > THAT_DOCUMENT

Now for the real advice: /proc/bus/usb/devices only shows  USB
devices, audio or not. It is important that you correctly install the
sound drivers. This means installing ALSA nowadays. The best way to do
this is to install your distribution's packages for alsa-modules
libasound and alsa-utils. Then run "alsaconf" (available in the
alsa-driver-x.x.x.tar.bz2 on alsa-project.org to configure a USB
soundcard. You can find out if that works by running aplay and
alsamixer.

> I tried to install alsa, then jack, then pd with `./configure
> --enable-alsa --enable-jack --enable-portaudio' but make crashes
> with a big list of errors starting with portaudio.h not existing.
> So I figure portaudio is a windows thing, run `./configure
> --enable-alsa --enable-jack', but that crashes too!

Portaudio is not only used on Windows, but on all other Pd ports, too.
If you for whatever reasons cannot use a binary and compilation fails,
could you post the exact error messages? For starters you could also
try to do without the special options to configure. Just run it
without any "enable" things.

ciao