[PD] pure-data.org downloads

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Tue Nov 11 01:54:05 CET 2003

yeah, i don't think it is just me, and not just a computer/browser
issue. but if people need to know: linux, mozilla 1.0.something...

right-click-save-as does the same thing as clicking the link. it allows
you to download whatever has been uploaded. but if that thing was
uploaded without a file extension, then i have to trust whatever the
server tells me about the MIME type, which could be accurate or not.

maybe a good test case would be the loopool file. it has no extension,
and the server tells me it is an x-bzip2 file. however, 'bunzip2
loopool' doesn't know what to do with it, and inflates the whole archive
as one big file, when it should be a directory with multiple files.

could the maintainers of pure-data.org either explicitily request that
people remember the file extension in whatever form they fill out, or
even more explicitely require them to enter the extension manually when
they upload?

thx+g'night,
d.