[PD] pure-data.org downloads

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Nov 11 10:14:43 CET 2003

Hallo,
derek holzer hat gesagt: // derek holzer wrote:

> yeah, i don't think it is just me, and not just a computer/browser
> issue. but if people need to know: linux, mozilla 1.0.something...
>
> right-click-save-as does the same thing as clicking the link. it allows
> you to download whatever has been uploaded. but if that thing was
> uploaded without a file extension, then i have to trust whatever the
> server tells me about the MIME type, which could be accurate or not.

"man file"

> maybe a good test case would be the loopool file. it has no extension,
> and the server tells me it is an x-bzip2 file. however, 'bunzip2
> loopool' doesn't know what to do with it, and inflates the whole archive
> as one big file, when it should be a directory with multiple files.

It's probably a tar.bz2-file, and you now need to "tar xf" it. Try
looking at it with the "file" command, it should tell you the file
format without looking at the suffix.

> could the maintainers of pure-data.org either explicitily request that
> people remember the file extension in whatever form they fill out, or
> even more explicitely require them to enter the extension manually when
> they upload?

Well, we could use the publishing system for that. I am a reviewer and
I could "reject" such files even after they are published, so that
their owners wil have to fix them.

The only problem is, they could publish them again without fixing.

I think it should be good practice everywhere users upload something,
to try to download it once afterwards. Then the user would've seen
that something must have gone wrong.

ciao