[PD] Pd minimum requirements

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 11 16:20:40 CET 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 huolong at arcor.de wrote:

> hi list,
>
> i first thought on making the tutorial/manual only for windows, but as the chapter-C will cover the usage of Pd (will be huge) and that is allmost 100% compatible with any OS, so i thought i make the install and launch chapter also for linux and osx.
>
> for starters, i could use some help on defining the "minimum requirements" for Pd. please correct these points where you can:
>
> Microsoft Windows
> - Windows 98 (i don't think we need to mention win95)
> - 300 Mhz (if someone can test this, let me know if it's too slow)
> - 64 mb ram (should be enough)
> - 20 mb free on harddisk (maybe we could spare this point)
> - TCP/IP Protocol
> - Audio card (optional: for audio input/output)
> - MIDI card/device (optional: for MIDI input/output)
> - OpenGl compatible graphic card (optional: for GEM)
> - Video card/device (optional: for GEM, video input/output)
>
> well, it's not quite logical to mention that multimedia devices are "optional" for Pd, but you can use Pd for "normal" programming too...

I've run a Pd patch which controlled 14 samples on a Pentium 133 running
Win2k and a Mac 8600 with a 250 MHz 604e running Linux.  While you can't
do a lot on those old machines, they are definitely usable for some things.

> Macintosh OSX
> - osx version ?
> - ? mhz
> - ? mb ram
> - ? mb free on harddisk
> - TCP/IP Protocol
> - ?

The current installer works on >= 10.2, but you could probably get Pd
running on any version of MacOS X by compiling it yourself.

> GNU/Linux
> - hardware same as windows ?
> - depencies ?
> - gcc version ?
> - kernel issues ?
> - ?

If Pd ran on Win2k on a P-133, then I am sure it would work using Linux on
the same machine.

.hc

> IRIX (do we need this?)
> - ?
>

> question: Pd does audio signal processing even if you don't have an audio card ?
> (just input and output are not available ?)

Yes, you could process and generate sound files without a soundcard.

.hc