[PD] streamin~ / streamout~ format

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Sun Nov 16 19:55:37 CET 2003

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Marc [iso-8859-1] Lavallée wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 01:37:06PM +0100, guenter geiger wrote:
> > Another possibility would be to extend cstream in a way that it
> > transmits format information.
>
> Cstream is not designed specifically as a sound application, although
> it can emulate a sound card. Extending it is a good idea.
>
> > I am sorry that collaboration within the pd community doesn't seem
> > to work out, otherwise we would probably have a single set of working
> > multichannel streaming objects.
>
> Let's collaborate then; I always wanted to get sound in and out of PD.
> What would be the specifications of these streaming objects? How to extend
> cstream? Does OSC handle sound streams, and how alsa/jack fit in this
> scheme? Should we start a streaming project on the pure-data.org web site?

Ok, that would be great.

As Olaf already pointed out, JACK and ALSA is very linux specific, but the
solution we come up should be crossplatform.

OSC is not a streaming architecture, It doesn't provide a framework to add
this.

I think we would have to search around the web for existing solutions
(like CStream etc.), then take a look at them and decide if we can reuse
them.

Guenter