[PD] Re: OSC

e skogen eskogen at usfamily.net
Wed Nov 19 11:59:46 CET 2003

> it's all here:
> http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/
>
> and there isn't really much to it, just send urlstyle, optionally time
> stamped messages with values and do whatever you like with it, there
> is no such lengthy std blabla as in "a midi note on message is ..."

yeah, that's what confused me most at first. OSC is a transmission
protocol with no real standards for what exactly it will transmit. it
can be anything. in my patches, i've been following the way reaktor uses
OSC [http://barely.a.live.fm/pd/OSC/r3osc-2.html].. basically emulating
MIDI commands. perhaps that's a step backwards, but it's been useful to
me..

NI's Traktor now sends OSC commands for sync. but i had trouble figuring
out exactly what they are. anyone heard anything about this?

on the subject, does Pd handle timestamped messages? i'm working on a
seperate OSC sequencer idea, and i'm wondering if latency can be
addressed this way (udp packets could arrive at any time, so the
timestamp would be helpful to keep them rhythmic..)