[PD] [OT] next Linux kernel and Hammerfall cards

julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net
Wed Nov 19 16:08:30 CET 2003

hello

some time ago I read that the next Linux kernel (current version is 2.4.x) will
originally include the latest ALSA driver as the generic sound driver (maybe
OSS will be abandonned)

do you know when this kernel (2.5) is released ? I could not find any
information about this

I'm very interested in this new kernel, because currently the most recent
Hammerfall sound cards (like mine) are not directly compatible with the ALSA
driver anymore (hdsploader problem, related to the RME Hammerfall PCI hardware
revision v1.8 and higher whose firmwares are not downgradable)

I saw there are new versions of the ALSA driver too, but I haven't tested them
yet (maybe this RME problem was corrected ; I should try installing these new
drivers)

On planetCCRMA, the ALSA driver is still 0.9.6, I remember the hdsp problem
remained with this version (there was a solution provided by Thomas Charbonnel,
consisting in the new hdsploader (that was NOT included in alsa-0.9.6), but I
didn't have the time to install it properly and now I have forgotten all
information about it)

is there anyone on this list who uses a recent Hammerfall dsp sound card under
Linux ? when did you buy your card ?

thanks,