[PD] [OT] next Linux kernel and Hammerfall cards

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Nov 19 17:54:48 CET 2003

Hallo,
julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net hat gesagt: // julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net wrote:

> some time ago I read that the next Linux kernel (current version is 2.4.x) will
> originally include the latest ALSA driver as the generic sound driver (maybe
> OSS will be abandonned)

OSS will still be included, but ALSA is now the default.

> do you know when this kernel (2.5) is released ? I could not find any
> information about this

2.5 is already released, but is the developer's version. Kernel 2.6 is
expected Real Soon Now (tm). 2.6 test versions are already part of
Debian unstable.

> I'm very interested in this new kernel, because currently the most recent
> Hammerfall sound cards (like mine) are not directly compatible with the ALSA
> driver anymore (hdsploader problem, related to the RME Hammerfall PCI hardware
> revision v1.8 and higher whose firmwares are not downgradable)

Kernel-ALSA and the standalone ALSA versions are more or less the
same, so I wouldn't expect many differences here, I'm sorry to say.

> I saw there are new versions of the ALSA driver too, but I haven't tested them
> yet (maybe this RME problem was corrected ; I should try installing these new
> drivers)

Yes, you should. I think there has been some work done in this area.
Thomas, are you reading this and can comment on it?

> is there anyone on this list who uses a recent Hammerfall dsp sound card under
> Linux ? when did you buy your card ?

You might want to ask on linux-audio-(dev|user), too.

ciao