[PD] [OT] next Linux kernel and Hammerfall cards

CK x at meta.lo-res.org
Wed Nov 19 17:32:56 CET 2003

I read:
> some time ago I read that the next Linux kernel (current is 2.4.x) will
> originally include the latest ALSA driver as the generic sound driver (maybe

this is the case yes,

> OSS will be abandonned)

probably not, and the alsa-oss emulation layer is definitely to stay
around for some more time

> do you know when this kernel (2.5) is released ? I could not find any
> information about this

2.5 is the development tree, I'm currently running 2.6.0-test9 to evaluate
it.

> I'm very interested in this new kernel, because currently the most recent
> Hammerfall sound cards (like mine) are not directly compatible with the ALSA
> driver anymore (hdsploader problem, related to the RME Hammerfall PCI hardware
I don't think that alsa in the kernel is fresher than alsa-cvs so upgrading
your kernel might not help you with that.

> I saw there are new versions of the ALSA driver too, but I haven't tested them
you should probably just try alsa 0.9.8 or 1.0.0pre1, if tat doesn't help
get the cvs version and ask on the alsa-user mailing list, these guys are
usually pretty quick in providing fixes.

regards,

chris at lo-res.org	Postmodernism is german romanticism with better
http://pilot.fm/	special effects. (Jeff Keuss / via ctheory.com)