[PD] Pd in white on black and OSC

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Fri Nov 21 12:29:22 CET 2003

hi all,

I just did a test, and it seems like it is possible to speed up
the movement of medium-sized blocks of selected gui objects by
~10x pretty easily.  The trick is to group all selected items with
`addtag' canvas command, and displace everything with a single
`move'.  Actually, moving 100 hsliders this way was much smoother
than moving 10 hsliders the hard way, which is currently used.

With gops, there is some additional work to be done (so I did not
test that), and probably an additional gain possible, because when
dragging a gop, objects inside are not simply displaced, but
instead redrawn by delete/create commands.

Redrawing arrays is quite another matter.  With that amount of data
to pass, people would keep complaining, unless graphics is done in
a separate thread of the engine process.

frzy sztok