[PD] gem/win question

ben at ekran.org ben at ekran.org
Fri Nov 21 16:00:07 CET 2003

> hello
>
> i'm running pd/gem on a win xp machine and have 2 questions:
>
>  >when i connect a line in signal to my soudcard (auidiogy),  the input
> is sent to the speaker out automatically. due this, it's impossible for
> me to listen to the output of the audio analysis. do you know how i can
> turn this off?

Check to see if your soundcard settings are set to monitor the inputs (I
had this issue with a soundblaster under linux having monitor on by
default)

>  > im running gem on a geforce4, using one of two monitors for the
> interface, the otherone for the gem output.
> to set the gem output on the second monitor, i have to switch the second
>  monitor to primary, start pd, pull all the windows to the other
> monitor,  and then start gem. when i have to open a subpatch it opens on
> the  primary monitor, where gem is running :(

> But: when i switch "primary monitor" back to the first monitor while gem
>  is running the gem window stays at the second monitor and is still
> working (although i'm no longer able to view the pd windows).
> is there a way to send the gem output to the secondary monitor?

All this primary and secondary mess should be avoided, why are you messing
with it to start with? Just open PD on your primary montior, open Gem and
drag the window onto your secondary monitor (or use the offset message to
the gemwin so that the x offset is the same as the width of your primary
monitor)

I did have an issue with a windows (me) machine (with an nvidia card) that
would only render GL on the primary monitor, dragging the Gem window onto
the second monitor would cause it to stop rendering altogether. Hopefully
this is not the issue your talking about!

Good luck
Ben