the damned GUI - was:[PD] Pd in white on black and OSC

Meka[ni] meka at mail15.com
Sat Nov 22 07:38:37 CET 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:22:14 -0600
chris clepper <cgc at humboldtblvd.com> wrote:

> The main complaint is speed and looks right?  Well, how about pulling
> out all the stops and going full on 3D rendering using OpenGL via
> GLUT or SDL?  That would shut people the hell up about both.  You
> want to see that array update at hundreds of FPS?  Not a problem.
> You want glowing, translucent baubles in your patch?  Sure go right
> ahead.
	How about FLTK? It supports OpenGL (if you really want to use it) and is very portable
(works on Windows, Linux, OSX, *BSD, and maybe more), and some of the people I've asked
say that it is really fast. I wouldn't know how much is it faster (FLTK is the only GUI
lib I've ever used), but it is one of the smallest GUI libs I've seen. Only problem there
could be is that it is written in C++, so it is not as fast as it can be, but is much
easier to work with.

> GLUT and SDL are highly portable, work on most platforms, and handle
> windowing, drawing, input devices and events.  What more could you
> want?  Oh yeah, you have a crappy video card... tough!!
	I have really slow machine (Celeron 300MHz) so my life is optimization. It would be nice
not to be forced to use GLUT or OpenGL or whatever, but to have is as an option. I really
think FLTK is the solution, but tell me if there is something faster, cause I would really
like to get the best out of my machine.

> My 2 pesos of input of the discussion.
	Good point. I'm using pd for few weeks, so I don't know what is the philosophy of the
programmers. Excuse me if I've said something totally off topic. :o)