[PD] Advice on PD/Flash Usage

Marcus ubiquity7 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 01:24:51 CET 2003

Hello,

I'm interested in learning more about creating Flash
frontends for a few PD patches of mine and hosting
them on the web.

I've installed the flashserver external; however, I
only have a rudimentary working knowledge of Flash and
I'm in need of some advice on where to tread next.

A few questions:

1. Is it neccessary to learn Actionscript in order to
create interaction between PD and Flash, or will just
a few rote lines of memorized code suffice? At the
moment, all I want to do is build some sliders and
have PD recieve the numerical data.

2. I'm not hosting any webspace on a local box, though
I do have telnet access. Will it be possible to boot
my patch through my telnet-accessed comand line? If
not, is there any way of pulling this off short of
building my own webserver?

3. Has anyone tried to stream audio data back through
Flash? Is this feasible? If not, what's the most
widely-accessible way of sharing the audio data?
Icecast?

Any further tips and pointers on this task would be
appreciated. Once I've successfully pulled this off,
I'd like to write a simple tutorial for pure-data.org
on how it was done.

Thanks!
Marcus.