[PD] Advice on PD/Flash Usage

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Sat Nov 29 10:53:21 CET 2003

Marcus wrote:

>1. Is it neccessary to learn Actionscript in order to
>create interaction between PD and Flash, or will just
>a few rote lines of memorized code suffice? At the
>moment, all I want to do is build some sliders and
>have PD recieve the numerical data.

If you have a look at the files that come with flashserver there already
is an example file doing just that: sending values from sliders to
flashserver. If you modify the look of it you can get your own version
without too much ActionScripting. Just change the server name to piont
your hostname or IP (this can be found in the 'action' layer).

>2. I'm not hosting any webspace on a local box, though
>I do have telnet access. Will it be possible to boot
>my patch through my telnet-accessed comand line? If
>not, is there any way of pulling this off short of
>building my own webserver?

In the end you have to have flashserver / Pd and the webserver that
hosts the flash file running on the same machine! Flash PlugIns only
connect to the IP / hostname they have been loaded from. If you start
the flash movie from harddisk this does not apply....

You can install and run Pd through telent access.

>3. Has anyone tried to stream audio data back through
>Flash?

You will need Icecast anyway but you can play mp3 streams directly in
Flash. So users don't have to start a separate player for that.

Olaf