[PD] Announcing "RRADical Pd"

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Nov 29 13:41:17 CET 2003

Hallo,
Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:

> Ok, I've uploaded my GOP mini-effects units onto p-d.org. The patches
> lack persistance and OSC functionality as discussed, but I think they
> are a good start. I'll start adding pool persistance and OSC shortly.
>
> I think as well as making pool & OSC standard in these units it would be
> cool to establish the following guidelines when designing Rrad units:
>
> * All sliders/controls have a standard range (i.e. 0 to 1 or 1 to 0) -
> the patches will internally scale the value to what they need. (eg.
> x20000 for filter cutoff)

Actually I probably would prefer them to stay at 0-127 because of midi
comatibility, but maybe this even wouldn't be necessary to unify...

> * All sliders/controls will send/receive on the channel $1-slidername
>
> So for example in my s-filter~ i have two sliders resonance and cutoff.
> resonance can be modified from outside the unit using $1-resonance. So
> if the unit is:
>
> [s-filter~ fx1] you can modify the value of cutoff by sending
>  to 'fx1-cutoff'.
>
> What do you guys think of that idea?

There might very well be values that are useful to send but that are
not needed to be contained in a GUI object. For example in your
s-distortion the filename of the shaper array could come from outside.

I would prefer to keep things localized through $0-arguments as much as
possible. What are the areas, where global access is needed? I could
think of the following ones:

* Persistance. Saving probably should be centralized as much as
  possible.

* External control: After seeing some OSC patches, I'm very fond of
  the idea to use OSC for all communication outside the abstractions.
  Inside of them I think, normal send/receives would be enough, but
  OTOH once you start to do OSC, there might not be much need for it.

* More?

I could figure an approach where you have one highly reused
abstraction that would be used to wrap above points:

 [r $0-somevalue-read]

 [persistance_and_control_wrapper $1] <= use $1 for all global actions

 [s $0-somevalue-write]

ciao