[PD] running PD for video work in panther

Yves Degoyon ydegoyon at free.fr
Sun Nov 30 11:40:35 CET 2003

Gon Zifroni wrote:

> thx to Yves and Adam for suggestions, I actually have installed the
> 0.37 from Hans's page (after removing manually the 0.36 with thinker
> tool -allows to browse invisble files-)
> I followed the end of the instructions for the osx install of PiDiP
> for changing the pd.command text..
>
> 4. install the present package in /usr/local/lib/pd/pdp_pidip_osx
>
> 5. modify the Pd.command textfile to read like this
> /usr/local/bin/pd -rt -path
> /usr/local/lib/pd/extra:/usr/local/lib/pd/pdp_pidip_osx/abstractions -lib
> /usr/local/lib/pd/pdp_pidip_osx/pdp_pidip
>
> I even changed the one contained within the app itself
> this was according to the INSTALL_NOTES file contained in
> pdp_pidip_osx.tar (also here: http://ydegoyon.free.fr/pidip-for-osx.txt)
>
> result when trying to open an example patch is that it doesn't even
> recognise basic objects and says:
>
> " pdp_glx
> ... couldn't create
> pdp_v4l
> ... couldn't create
> pdp_agc 0.5
> ... couldn't create
> pdp_contrast 0.5
> ... couldn't create
> pdp_saturation 0.5
> ... couldn't create
> example14.pd 2 0 6 0 (text->text) connection failed
> example14.pd 3 0 2 0 (metro->text) connection failed
> example14.pd 4 0 2 0 (message->text) connection failed"  etc....
>
> I haven't done this yet : "It also requires the installation of Image
> Magick, imlib2, and ffmpeg."
> is it even possible in osx?
> is this the issue?

"cause i'm missing all the libs...." ' 'No User, No Cry" (
http://www.piksel.no/no_user.ogg )

Yeh, it's certainly a problem not to have install the libraries here.
Note that you don't need ffmpeg, only ImageMagick and Imlib2.

> yves, the samples u put there seem real cool especially the tracking
> and the live shape recognition..not to mention effecttv (real phat
> shiit, phat=cool, shiit=stuff)
>
> do u think this is set-able on my system?

If you follow all steps yes, like installing Fink and getting all the libs.
Note that support for OSX is rather new and untested, so be patient.

cheers,
sevy