[PD] PD + Gentoo

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sun Nov 30 15:00:29 CET 2003

So.... my search for a Linux distro that will allow me to use my HDSP
with minimal hassles has led me to Gentoo, and a whole new set of
problems: i.e. that I don't think they look after their audio ebuilds
very well. [Or maybe the excellent service of Planet CCRMA spoiled me!]

Anyway, I wanted to ask the list three things about PD + Gentoo:

1) Has anybody actually built Gentoo's PD 0.37 ebuild? Jack breaks the
compile of it on my machine, and when Jack support is removed, then it
breaks because of gcc 3.3. Both of these are documented bugs.

2) Has anybody else compiled PD manually on Gentoo, only to find that it
doesn't start up with ALSA [although it runs with Jack fine?]. With the
HDSP, PD will open the GUI, but will not connect to the sound card.
Also, no files can be opened or started in this state. Something to do
with non-interleaved mode.

3) [As a sidenote:] does anybody else find Gentoo's ALSA packages
incomplete? Mine are missing Alsaconf, hdspconf, hdsploader and probably
some other odds and ends.

grrrrrr........

D.