[PD] latency

cgc at humboldtblvd.com cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Sat Nov 15 20:46:18 CET 2003

Quoting mattn-l at rogers.com:

> is this because of portaudio on os x?

yes.

> or is there something i can do
> about it?

start here: http://developer.apple.com/audio/macosxaudio.html

i have too much on my plate right now to rip all the portaudio out of pd and
replace it with straight CoreAudio calls.  but that's what someone needs to do...

> i know that the motu will do 3-4ms with max/msp and reaktor,
> but not with pd.

there's not a single reason pd can't do the same - all it requires is a little
work.  pd desperately needs a few more OSX devs that know their shit.  we've got
the video down cold, and jamie is hard at work making tcl/tk less ass-tastic,
but some of the basic pd functionality still needs work.  nothing a little OSX
native code/APIs couldn't fix.

cgc