pool XML format, was: Re: [PD] re: state saving

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Dec 1 15:07:19 CET 2003

Hallo Thomas,

Thomas Grill hat gesagt: // Thomas Grill wrote:
> many thanks for your elaborations. I think though that your suggestions
> would add more redundancy, while i'd rather want to keep it as low as
> possible.

Yes, that's okay. I don't think this redundancy is necessary.

> My primary concern is whether values should rather be given as
>
> <value>
> <key>0</key>
> <data>1 2 3 hu ha</data>
> </value>
>
> rather than currently  <value key="0">1 2 3 hu ha</value>
> Does that matter for automatic processing of XML data or database storage? I
> have practically no knowledge of XML conversion.

I think, that this could work fine.  You'd need to specify <key> and
<data> as required elements inside a <value>, that must occur exactly
once, like:

<!ELEMENT value  (key, data)>

Empty data should be allowed, imo. This would be a correct DTD, and
thus every xml parser should be able to read it. I don't know, if
specifying it that way was faster than using attributes, though. Files
will be larger, though.

ciao