[PD] PD Crashes Jack/ALSA/Hammerfall DSP was: gui makes noises / threaded gui

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Thu Jan 1 19:16:59 CET 2004

> It all runs......so far, but now PD crashes - i still
> didi not find out when exactly.
i don't know, if the planet ccrma rpms are compiled with debugging
information, but you could try to find at least the function, where pd
crashes (try a debugger like ddd, when pd crashes try backtrace)

> The system like that is unusable.....The Clicks are,
> as far as i believe unacceptable and you have to be a
> HArdCore Hacker to apply all those patches, and tuning
> things........
yves patches are working quite well, on my system, but, please correct
me if i'm wrong, pd isn't a thread-safe application (at least 0.36
wasn't, i'm not sure about 0.37), so these patches are a working
solution, but a build-in solution with thread-safety and a working
handling for long lasting operations as suggested by thomas grill will
definitely be needed for a "stable" release of pd

> I thought everything you can do to  avoid clicks is
> included in Planet CCRMA, but it does not look like
> that .....
well, it shouldn't be that difficult to get apply this patch and compile
it yourself ...

> What can i still optimize, check if sthg is wrong ???
apply this patch, use the -rt flag, a small window manager (not kde or
gnome), your interrupt settings seem to be ok ...

btw, what buffersize are you using? i'm not sure, if it's related to the
buffersize ... to me it seems, that without yves patch, i get less
clicks using very high buffersizes (around 400 ms) ...

take care...

 Tim                          mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de
                              ICQ: 96771783
                              http://www.nyds-exp-discogs.tk
--
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,