[PD] rradical patches causing segmentation fault

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jan 10 23:11:35 CET 2004

Hallo,
matthew shanley hat gesagt: // matthew shanley wrote:

> i'm having problems with two of frank's rradical patches (which is
> dissappointing because they seem very exciting.
>
> opening analogue-0.2/example.pd crashes pd with this printed to the
> terminal:
> Segmentation fault
> $ pd_gui: pd process exited
>
> after that it hangs up and i have to use C-c
>
> also, opening rrad.pattseq-0.0.1/rrad.pattseq-help.pd crashes pd with
> similar errors returned:
> pool 0.2.0pre - hierarchical storage object, (C)2002-2003 Thomas Grill
> Segmentation fault
> $ pd_gui: pd process exited
>
> this happens when using alsa or jack. i'm running Pd version 0.37.1
> devel, rh9, planet-ccrma, with this .pdrc:
> -nomidi -path /home/arkadyan/pd/rradical/memento-0.5 -path
> /home/arkadyan/pd/other-externals/sseq-1.0 -lib iemlib1 -lib iemlib2
> -lib iem_t3_lib -lib iem_mp3 -lib zexy -lib plugin~/plugin~ -lib knob
> -lib OSC

I can only guess here, but you could try to start Pd without loadbang
as "pd -noloadbang" and see if it still crashes. Then it might help to
load some patches as single ones. That is, try to create a
[originator] object or directly open that patch (you will get some
error messages, but hopefully not a crash.

A third thing: try removing all libs from your .pdrc and add them
again one by one. Maybe there is a conflict somewhere. (You can omit
knob, it's not a library).

And last: You will need the [prepend] from Cyclone in the Pd CVS for
Memento. This has the nasty side effect, that you cannot use the
iemlib2 which also includes a prepend, but the last one doesn't
support the set operation as cyclone's prepend does.

Either omit iemlib2 from your pdrc, or recompile iemlib2 without
prepend. This is done easily with:

1. moving away (rename/remove) the file iemlib_R1.12/src/prepend.c
2. edit iemlib2.c and uncomment/remove prepend everywhere here:
   line 36: /* #include "iemlib2/prepend.c" */
   line 66: /* prepend_setup(); */
3. recompile

This won't hurt any of the older patches as Cyclone's prepend does all
that IEM prepend does, too, and then some.

HTH.

ciao