[PD] .pdrc??

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Tue Feb 10 06:28:16 CET 2004

On Monday 09 February 2004 20:10, tdunstan at ihug.com.au wrote:
> just been reading a few docs on pd and a couple of times it has been
> mentioned to "put it in your .pdrc file". i'm kinda, sort of, new to linux
> but i assume its some sort of launching device. could someone please
> explain to me how i use it and perhaps an example.
> thanks
> tom

Assuming you've come to Linux after using that Microsoft Winders, or WinDos,
or whatever they call it, then a "dot file" in Linux is similar to the old
Win 3.x .ini files. It's not a launching device, as you say, but just a list
of initialization options.

Usually you will create these files called "." + what ever the name of the
program is, in your home directory, to customize your startup of that
program. For example, if you use the Emacs editor, you might have a ".emacs".
Or sometimes "rc" is appended, for example in the case of pd, where it's
called ".pdrc".

Anyhow, typically, but not always, these files are just lists of command line
arguments, only that usually you can use the carriage return as a a seperator
as well.

Here is my (bloated at the moment)  ".pdrc":
~ ~ ~
-path ~/cur
-path ~/pd
-path ~/pd/util