[PD] 'Reading' a patch or subpatch

Padraig Kitterick padraigkitterick at oceanfree.net
Tue Mar 2 23:42:53 CET 2004

Hi all,

I am reading in configuration data from a device, translating that into
a network of PD objects and sending messages to a sub-patch (using
pd-msg) to effectively 'draw' the configuration for the user in the
sub-patch. As it is clear that you can send messages to a PD
patch/sub-patch to draw and manipulate objects this part is not a problem.

However, if / when the user changes anything in that sub-patch I want to
be able to receive a list of what is in the sub-patch and how they are
connected so that I can send the updated configuration to the device.
This I have no clue how to do!

So... is there a way to receive the contents/connections in a sub-patch
in the form of pd messages, e.g. 'obj x y ....', 'msg x y ....',
'connect 0 1 0 2', etc.

Thanks in advance,

Padraig Kitterick