[PD] what is a list? (symbols vs. floats)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Mar 15 01:56:05 CET 2004

There are a number of datatype inconsistencies that drive me nuts in Pd
and I am wondering what the rhyme or reason is, or whether they are
just bugs.  I have tried to start documenting them as I come along
them.  Here's a start:

When is a list a list?  According to [route]:

[list 1 2 3( is a list
[1 2 3( is a list
[list one two three( is a list
[one two three( is NOT a list
[one 2 3( is NOT a list
[1 two three( is a list

Ok, I can see that anything that starts with a float is automatically
deemed a list, while anything that starts with a symbol is
automatically deemed not a list unless cast as such.  This is confusing
and I don't see the benefit.

.hc

#N canvas 704 57 539 385 10;
#X msg 126 63 1 2 3;