[PD] Buying PCs for PD: Quantity or Quality

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Thu Apr 1 02:41:57 CEST 2004

> In general I would say yes (assuming the work can be distributed
> evenly). Multiple systems means you have duplication of more system
> components such as L1/L2 cache, FSB, drive controllers. However, you
> pay
> for the extra hardware.

This brings up another question. Are there techniques for distributing tasks evenly over a network of
computers? I'm aware of rendering farms and beowulf clusters (though I don't actually know much about them),
but is there some way to implement a similar idea with PD? For instance, I could set up two comps for 3D and
one for audio--but if the audio computer isn't being used to its fullest capacity, is there some way for it to
take a load off the others? I realize that with 3D this would be impossible because of the speed of a network;
what kind of multimedia tasks could take advantage of something like this (if any)?

-Ian