[PD] buying PC's: Quantity vs. Quality

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Thu Apr 1 02:56:30 CEST 2004

> Edirol V-4 video mixer it has a lot of built in effects and can be
> controlled via midi, so uses it video processor and let PD atomate it.

> Next you need a good quality multi-channel audio device.  Motu (PC +
> MAC)
> makes one, and hammerfall has another (Linux + PC + MAC).  I think with
> the
> hammerfall you would also need to buy a DAC.  On a students budget
> this
> could be tough either of those are close to $700.

That's interesting, I hadn't even considered buying external hardware. My college already has the requisite LCD
projectors, PAs, screens, etc. including a Motu 2408mk2, which is old, but not unusable. I figure that
something as simple as a 100$ Creative Audigy 2 would be enough as it has 5.1 (7.1?) perhaps not.. But with
something like the video mixer, since all it needs is midi, I could do audio and control the mixer all on one
computer. The thing I would worry about is limitations of the mixer if it is not programmable (I haven't had
time to really go over the Edirol's specs in detail yet--it may be programmable).

Thanks for the tips.

-Ian