[PD] New To Pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 9 22:30:32 CEST 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Bret Parsons wrote:

> Hello,

Hi

> 1.  Besides Dr. Miller Puckette who else is developing Pd?  Are his
> graduate students involved?  Some of the people on this board?

AFAIK there are not graduate students working directly on the program's
code itself. Some people on this board work on Pd but not directly on
Miller's code.

> 2.  Does anyone mind, including Dr. Puckette, if someone else modifies
> Pd and distributes the modified version?  Are there popular modified
> versions?  Does Dr. Puckette ever check out modifications for
> inclusion into his software?

There are three main "branches" of Pd, that is, Miller's branch, the
"devel" branch, and the "impure" branch, in increasing order of
experimentalness. Some people on this board do work on "devel", and I'm
taking care of "impure", and we discuss a lot and share bug reports and
feature requests and such, although the more technical stuff is on another
board called "pd-dev at iem.at" while this one ("pd-list at iem.at") is more
user-oriented.

There are also a few "diff"s floating around, that are modifications on
specific versions of Pd, but you have to be able to roll your own PD.EXE
file and such. For Windows, I hear that it's recommended to use either
Microsoft VC++ 6 or MinGW, the latter having the advantage of being much
more like Linux.

> 3.  How come I can't access http://www.pure-data.org/ Are these pages
> down?

The new one is apparently http://pure-data.iem.at/ ... That's an
unfortunate situation about the domain-name, I hear.