[PD] Access to /usr/local/lib/pd/extra..........my solution

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Apr 11 23:41:06 CEST 2004

On Sunday, Apr 11, 2004, at 17:14 America/New_York, Mathieu Bouchard
wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> This sounds like a good approach and will work well with the packages
>> since we are moving away from libraries and compiling individual
>> objects instead.
>
> Heheheh. Libraries are not going away anytime soon. Maybe _you_ are
> going
> away from libraries... But you're not going to coerce everyone into
> compiling individual objects. There is no practical sense to doing
> that.
>
> And I have a question for you: how would you wish non-C externals to be
> handled, other than not handling them at all?

There is no coercion going on, everyone is free to build Pd and
externals however they want.  By "we" I meant those who work on making
the installers/packages (among others).  And in those, we are working
to make everything compile as individual objects because it is much
more manageable.  But if someone wanted, they could build an installer
where everything was compiled as libraries.

As for non-C externals, there are a number of flext-based externals
that are already compiled as individual objects.  But I have mostly
worked with C externals so I wouldn't know the details about that.

____

deliberately throwing it away
to benefit those who profit from scarcity."
							-John Gilmore