[PD] More pdp blues

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Tue May 4 15:35:48 CEST 2004

I've got PDP and PiDiP working well now. I'm using a webcam stream on one place on a pdp_canvas, recording it,
and playing it via pdp_qt at other places on the canvas. This works well, but if I try to run both the stream
and recorded .mov I get a steady stream of pdp_drops, memory usage goes through the roof, and brings everything
to a grinding halt or makes a segmentation fault. I read this in the archives:

On tor, 2003-03-25 at 11:59, Yves Degoyon wrote:
> that's perfectly normal, this behaviour you get :
> that's because PiDiP objects do not support grey scale images,
> you have to pass yuv12 packets to them and, then, eventually,
> turn the result into grey images with "pdp_grey".

Is this the same problem? If so, how can I convert the stream to yuv12 before it gets to pdp_rec~? Should I
maybe be using pdp_yqt instead of pdp_qt?

I have pdp in its own thread, a [block~ 131072 8] which doesn't seem to help, and memory usage set to 100 megs
max. Problem is, instead of managing the memory as I'd hoped, it just exits when it goes over that limit. I am
trying to loop the video with pdp_qt but I don't have any pdp_loop or pdp_del, unless they're in one of the
other objects I've mentioned. What gives me hope, is last night at some point it did run for a good five
minutes without eating up any memory, but as soon as I stopped and started again it went on its
merry-memory-crunching way.

Thanks for any help, again,
Ian