[PD] GRID and compiling issues

yasmin ahmad yahmad at mail.com
Tue May 18 00:15:11 CEST 2004

"grid" works in gcc (included in mingw/msys installer from www.mingw.org). in general gcc does a much better job of building open source software, pd externals included, than microsofts compiler, since many if not most active developers tend to prefer linux as their OS..in an ideal case all you should have to do is use the linux makefile, change "pd_linux" to "dll" and add an explicit path to pd.dll in the LDFLAGS..

there is a mingw-aware makefile for grid in cvs.sourceforge.net/pure-data/externals/unaothorized . assuming you want to build the entire unaothorized collection i'd just amke a 'tmp' dir and move the folders that do not build into it, unless you feel like porting the networking stuff used etc.. at the very least the following will work: audience~    disto~    grid  samplebox~  stksitar~  wahwah~ beatify~  formant~  spigot~  compressor~  gem2pdp   pianoroll stkdrone~

Sorry to bother you again but I am absolutely clueless about mingw. Where do I put LDFLAGS & how should I be writing the path to pd.dll? I included what should in theory be the correct makefile (edited as you suggested) for the "grid" external (the only one I really want to use at the moment) but missing the pd.dll reference.

Thanks

Yasmin.
pd_linux: $(NAME).dll

.SUFFIXES: .dll

LINUXCFLAGS = -DPD -DUNIX -DICECAST -O2 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer \
    -Wall -W -Wno-shadow -Wstrict-prototypes \
    -Wno-unused -Wno-parentheses -Wno-switch #-Werror

LINUXINCLUDE =  -I../../src

.c.pd_linux:
	./tk2c.bash < $*.tk > $*.tk2c
	cc $(LINUXCFLAGS) $(LINUXINCLUDE) -o $*.o -c $*.c
	ld -export_dynamic  -shared -o $*.dll $*.o -lc -lm
	strip --strip-unneeded $*.dll
	rm -f $*.o ../$*.dll
	ln -s $*/$*.dll ..